- Assistant Professor of Geography,
Christopher Newport University
- PhD, Geography, 2011, Arizona State University
- MA, Geography, 2006, University of Missouri - Columbia
- BA, International Studies-Latin America, University of Missouri - Columbia
articles & book chapters:
- Food Diaries to Measure Food Access: A Case Study from Rural Cuba. The Professional Geographer (forthcoming 2016; co-authored with Federica Bono).
- The Cultural Legacies of Slavery in Virginia. The Geography Teacher (forthcoming 2015; co-authored with Ann Mazzocca, Evan Goetz, and Lisa Gibson).
- Teaching Race, Place, and History through Culture and Performance. The Geography Teacher (2015; co-authored with Ann Mazzocca, Evan Goetz, and Lisa Gibson).
- Teaching Race, Place, and History through Landscape. The Geography Teacher (2015; co-authored with Ann Mazzocca, Evan Goetz, and Lisa Gibson).
- History Written in Stone: Gender and the Naturalizing Power of Monuments in Hampton Roads, VA. The Southeastern Geographer (2015; co-authored with Emily Weidenmuller, Taylor Williamson, and Courtney Leistensnider).
- Mediated Geographies Across Arizona. Chapter in Mediated Geographies / Geographies of Media (2015; co-authored with Chris Lukinbeal, J.P. Jones III, Tina Kennedy, and Keith Woodward).
- The Medium, the Message, and Media Geography in the 21st Century. GeoJournal (2015; co-authored with Joseph Palis).
- Media, Performance, and Pastpresents: Authenticity in the Digital Era. GeoJournal (2015; co-authored with Katrinka Somdahl-Sands).
- Musicscapes of Heritage and Memory. Chapter in Social Heritage and Tourism Methodologies (2015).
- Places of Graffiti. Chapter in The Ashgate Research Companion on Geographies of Media (2014).
- Soundtrack of a Nation: Race, Place, & Music in Modern Brazil. Journal of Latin American Geography (2014).
- Representação, Música e Geografia: Repensando o “lugar” da música. Chapter in Grafias do Espaço: imagens da educação geográfica contemporânea (2013).
- Petersburg National Battlefield Natural Resource Condition Assessment (2013; co-authored with TR Lookingbill, BM Miller, JM Madron, and AT Valenski).
- Entre la historia y el patrimonio: la raza debajo de la superficie del paisaje urbano. Estudios Socioterritoriales (2012).
- Introduction: On Music and Movement... Aether: The Journal of Media Geography (2011).
- Propaganda, grafite, e as representações de uma cidade negra. Educação Temática Digital (2010).
- Puerto Peñasco, Fishing Village to Tourist Mecca. The Geographical Review (2009; co-authored with A Fernandez, L Sutton, DD Arreola, C Allen, and C Smith).
- Huépac Revisited: Cultural Remapping of a Sonoran Townscape. Journal of the Southwest (2009; co-authored with DD Arreola, WE Doolittle, L Sutton, A Fernandez, C Smith, and C Allen).
- Contesting Culture: Commodification in Cuban Music. GeoJournal (2009).
- Musical Cartographies: Ritmos de los Barrios de la Habana. Chapter in Sound, Society, and the Geography of Popular Music (2009; co-authored with C Lukinbeal).
- Mediated Geographies: Critical Pedagogy and Geographic Education. Association of Pacific Coast Geographers Yearbook (2007; co-authored with C Lukinbeal, CB Kennedy, JP Jones, KA Woodward, D Nelson, ZA Grant, N Antonopolis, A Palos, and C Atkinson-Palombo).
book reviews & author interviews:
- Human Geography Book Review Symposium on David Harvey's Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism (2015)
- Human Geography Book Review Symposium on Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate (2015; includes 5,000-word interview with Naomi Klein)
- Book Review Essay: Writing, Performing, and Representing Place: Mississippi's Hill Country. AAG Review of Books (2015).
- Human Geography Book Review Symposium on Geopiracy: Oaxaca, Militant Empricism, and Geographical Thought (2014)
- "Field Study to Cuba." Virginia Geographic Alliance, $32,000 (2016).
"Field Study to Cuba: Reconnaissance Trip," Virginia Geographic Alliance, $3,000 (2015).
"Ethnographic Assessment of Antietam National Battlefield," National Parks Service, $59,000 (2013 - 2015)
- "Food & Cuba's Revolution: Using Local Cultural Knowledge to Understand the Past and Shape the Future," Christopher Reynolds Foundation, $7,000 (2013)
- "Parallel Geographies: The Legacies of Slavery in Virginia and Brazil," Virginia Geographic Alliance, $26,000 (2012 - 2013)
- Arizona State University Dissertation Fellowship, $37,322 (2009-2010)
Christopher Newport University (2012 - present)
- GEOG 201: Introduction to Geography I
- GEOG 202: Introduction to Geography II
- GEOG 308: The Urbanizing World
- GEOG 350: GIS for the Social Sciences (in development)
- GEOG 388: Field Research in Geography (in development)
- GEOG 570: World Geography for Teachers (graduate level)
- HONR 366: Honors Seminar: Global Cities in Crisis
- IDST 267: Introduction to Latin American Studies
- SOCL 201: Globalization & Society
- SOCL 491: Practicum in Sociology
- SOCL 492: Readings in Sociology
- SOCL 599: Independent Study in Sociology (graduate level)
Rowan University (2011 - 2012)
- GEOG 101: Cultural Geography
- GEOG 302: Urban Geography
- GEOG 303: Political Geography
- GEOG 304: Geography of Population
- GEOG 316: Geography Research Clinic
- GEOG 344: Geography of Latin America
University of Richmond (2011)
- GEOG 210: Geographic Dimensions of Human Development
- GEOG 380: Race, reAfricanization, & Music in Brazil
Columbia College (2009 - 2012)
- LACS 101: Latin American Culture & Society I (online)
- LACS 201: Latin American Culture & Society II (online)
- GEOG 101: Introduction to Geography (online)
Arizona State University (2006 - 2010)
- GCU 102: Introduction to Human Geography (online and in-seat)
- GCU 121: World Geography
- GCU 322: Geography of the US and Canada (TA)
- GCU 350: Geography of World Crisis (TA)
- GCU 364: Energy in the Global Arena (TA)
- GPH 111: Introduction to Physical Geography (Lab)
- GPH 210: Society & Environment (TA)
University of Missouri - Columbia (2004 - 2006)
- GEOG 1100: World Regional Geography, Western Hemisphere
- GEOG 1200: World Regional Geography, Eastern Hemisphere (TA)
- Cuba (2002 - present, 2+ years cumulative in country)
- Brazil (2007 - present, 1.5 years cumulative in country)
- Mexico (2006 - 2009, 6 weeks cumulative in country)
- Ghana (July - December 1999, 5 months consecutive in-country)
- English (native)
- Spanish (near-native fluency)
- Portuguese (conversational fluency)